Table of content
- Property prices in Danville are above the national average, so it is an affluent city.
- Demand consistently outstrips supply, so the Danville, CA housing market is highly competitive.
- Recent months have shown strong signs of recovery from the economic downturn in late 2022 and early 2023.
- Danville is a popular destination for Californians and the quality of life there is superb.
- Now is a good time to enter the Danville, CA real estate market.
Danville Housing Market Overview
Properties for sale in Danville, CA have experienced a recent surge in prices. After a shaky end to 2022 that extended into the beginning of 2023, we’ve witnessed an upward trend that has resulted in a year-on-year increase of 16.9% by August. The median sale price currently stands at almost $1.9 million, with properties taking an average of 17 days to sell. August 2023 saw a total of 51 properties sold, which is relatively low for the summer season.
Detailed Analysis Of Danville, CA Real Estate
Let’s take a closer look at the specifics of Danville, CA housing prices in the current market. We will analyze trends in pricing and sales and consider the importance of real estate taxes and the Danville, CA Section 8 housing list.
Pricing And Sales
- List prices versus sale prices
- As with most cities in Contra Costa County, the median sale price is slightly higher than the asking price for all home types. The ratio currently stands at 100.7%, which is considerably lower than at many points in recent years but also higher than what we saw in the second half of 2022.This indicates that we are witnessing a recovery in the Danville, CA real estate market that is gaining momentum. Homes are typically selling close to their list price, so it is important to set a competitive asking price if you want to sell your house fast in Danville. We can assist with this.
- Homes sold above list price
- In peak times, homes for sale in Danville, CA frequently sell for much more than the asking price. Early in 2022, around 95% of sales were higher than list prices, which speaks volumes about the competitiveness of the housing market there. However, with the soaring interest rates and cost of living challenges, virtually nothing was selling for higher than the listing price early in 2023. Currently, around 50% of homes are being sold above list price.If you work with a dependable real estate agent, now is an opportune time to seize a great price for a new home in Danville, CA. With interest rates improving, you could access this market just as it’s about to heat up, taking advantage of relatively low competition and surging house prices to gain some equity and live in this desirable area.
- Homes with price drops
- This figure generally runs conversely to the previous one. At present, we are seeing just under 50% of homes sell for slightly less than the asking price. Whenever large volumes of homes are selling above the list price, it stands to reason that few are selling below, but we currently have something close to parity between the two.There are opportunities right now to get a good price on property. We are anticipating a surge in both the demand for, and the price of, houses for sale in Danville, CA. So now is a great time to educate yourself on what you need to buy a house here and make your move before the temperature rises to a boiling point.
Tax And Financial Aspects
Property tax in Danville, CA is an important consideration. It has to be paid, and the money it raises is used to fund local projects like infrastructure and schools. The property tax rate is based on the California rate of 1%, and special assessments mean that the average rate in Danville is 1.11%. With the high price of Danville, CA real estate, this means the amount people pay in the city is quite high.
If you are thinking of moving to the city, you must budget carefully to pay your property tax. If you fall behind, you could be subject to a Danville, CA tax lien that compels you to make your payments. This can lead to further financial and legal complications, so it is crucial to be able to comfortably afford this key expense in the city.
Section 8 And Affordable Housing
The Danville, CA Section 8 housing list offers affordable housing options in the city for individuals with lower incomes. Danville is known for its affluence, leading to high property prices, but the Section 8 program assists eligible participants by subsidizing their rent. It serves as a vital resource for those who cannot afford the city’s market rates for rentals.
Due to the high demand for Section 8 housing, securing a spot can be competitive. The community in Danville values inclusivity and diversity, prompting many residents to rent their properties through Section 8 to provide affordable housing. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply, but be prepared for stiff competition for available placements.
Danville Housing Market Trends
As mentioned, properties for sale in Danville, CA command high prices, significantly exceeding the national average. While the overall trend has been upward since the pandemic, market conditions in the second half of 2022 introduced some volatility. Median sale prices fluctuated into early 2023 but have since stabilized and resumed a gradual upward trajectory.
The current median sale price of $1.8 million reflects a 16.9% increase from the same time last year. Although it has not fully rebounded to pre-inflation crisis levels, we anticipate it reaching those levels again in 2024. If you’re considering entering the Danville, CA housing market, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for support, as now presents an excellent opportunity to do so.
With limited inventory, there is consistently a relatively small number of homes for sale in Danville, CA. In optimal market conditions, there may be more than 110 homes sold in a month, but it’s not uncommon for these numbers to dip below 40. Seasonal fluctuations come into play, with increased activity during the warmer months. For instance, in January 2023, the number dropped as low as 13, highlighting the challenging market conditions during that period.
Conditions have improved throughout 2023, and we are presently observing around 50 sales per month. Anticipating drops in interest rates, we may experience a more active winter than usual in 2023-24, making it an exciting period for both buyers and sellers in the Danville, CA housing market.
Traditionally, properties in Danville don’t linger on the market for long. The Danville, CA housing market conditions result in low supply and high demand, often leading to homes selling within a week. However, this trend shifted in the latter half of 2022 and early 2023, with homes spending an average of 44 days on the market in December 2022.
Currently, homes are typically spending 9-17 days on the market, representing a significant improvement compared to conditions a year ago. If you’re looking to sell your house quickly, now is an opportune time to act. Reach out to us to take advantage of our extensive team of real estate professionals and negotiating expertise.
How Hot Is The Danville Real Estate?
Danville, CA’s real estate market is typically hot, but it experienced a significant cooling period toward the end of 2022. This was attributed to market conditions that have been gradually improving since, resulting in a surge in momentum in the city’s housing market.
In general, there’s a low supply and high demand in Danville. The real estate market is heating up and is expected to reach its peak in the next 12 months, creating opportunities for both buyers and sellers. Contact us if you want to capitalize on the inevitable surge in interest.
Danville Migration & Relocation Trends
Across the nation, 3% of homebuyers considered Danville as their destination from outside metros in the year to September 2023. This indicates the exclusivity of the Danville, CA housing market, largely down to its high house prices. Inbound migration came from various places, but Ukiah, Bloomington and Chicago were the leading sources. Many people who buy houses in Danville are people who already lived in the city, suggesting the high quality of life in the city.
People who leave Danville often stay within California. Sacramento and Los Angeles were the number one destinations for people leaving Danville in the year to September ‘23, though Seattle and Las Vegas were also popular.
Popular Neighborhoods In Danville, CA
There are many popular neighborhoods in Danville, CA, with an upmarket and affluent feel throughout the city. But there are some particularly popular hotspots for people looking to enter the Danville, CA real estate market, so let’s take a look at those:
- Shadow Creek: With a fantastic community and beautiful homes, close to great schools and superb amenities.
- Magee Ranch: With stunning vistas and custom, traditional-style homes, this is a slice of the American idyll.
- Greenbrook: This neighborhood has superb links to surrounding cities like San Francisco and Walnut Creek. And its proximity to Downtown Danville is another notable highlight.
The appeal of a neighborhood really depends on your personal preferences, so this is a good spread. Contact us for details of available properties in these areas and others.
Amenities Near Danville
One of the reasons for the popularity of the Danville, CA housing market is its array of outstanding amenities for residents. For a start, there are excellent public and private schools in the city, and it is close to some iconic parks like the Mount Diablo State Park. Downtown Danville offers charm and an array of shops, restaurants and cafes, while the Lesher Center for the Arts is one of many spectacular cultural and entertainment venues on offer.
With quiet roads and excellent public transportation, it’s no surprise that there is always such a high level of interest in properties for sale in Danville, CA. Reach out to us if you want to learn more about life in this stunning city.
Is It The Right Time To Buy Your Dream Home In Danville, CA?
On balance, now is a great time to consider entering the Danville, CA real estate market. With falling mortgage rates and relatively low activity in the city, you may face less competition than usual to buy a home there. This scenario won’t last long, as activity is forecast to surge as we enter 2024. The market is in an upward trajectory there, so contact us to get in early on the boom.
Naturally, it is important to take everything into consideration before making the decision to buy. You must carefully assess your personal financial health, preferably with professional assistance. It’s also vital to consider the very latest:
- Market demand
- Pricing trends
- Interest rates
We can help with all of this. Contact us to inquire about the Danville, CA housing market and we will work with you to assess whether now is the right time for you.
Should You Buy Or Rent A Property In Danville?
The question of buying versus renting in Danville is an important one. As mentioned before, there is the Danville, CA Section 8 housing list which, while competitive, offers opportunities for affordable living in this affluent city. But private rents are available too, and you will typically find between 100 and 200 available rentals to explore. However, in private rentals, you are looking at median prices of $2,495 per month for a 1-bedroom apartment, or $3,995 for a 3-bed.
With high rental prices, it is not much more affordable to rent in the city. This option is best if you are considering buying but want to experience the city first. There are other scenarios where it could be a viable option too, so contact us to discuss your circumstances.
The Role Of Climate And Its Impact On The Danville Property Market
The mild, pleasant climate makes the Danville, CA property market very desirable. This is a key driver of the competitive market conditions there, with high demand and limited supply. For warm summers and comfortable winters, California is an excellent state to live in.
However, it is important to consider that the city can be vulnerable to earthquake and wildfire risks. Make sure you do your research on different neighborhoods and understand how the risks there might impact your home insurance requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Danville is a consistently hot real estate market. Currently, it is recovering from the impact of high inflation and interest rate rises, but it is heating up at pace.
Danville has beautiful parks like Mount Diablo State Park and excellent shopping and restaurants in Downtown Danville. You will also find outstanding schools and entertainment, with close proximity to larger urban centers.
This comes down to personal circumstances. Prices are higher than the national average for both, so it is important to consider your situation with the help of a trustworthy real estate agent.